Advertisement

From the archives: The Way We Were

Éabha Campbell delves into the archives to bring you the news and images from yesteryear.

Saturday, February 14 1976

‘BENEFITS WILL BE WIDER SPREAD’

Advertisement

MR EAMONN HOY, Regional Tourism Manager, in a comment on the proposed five year tourism plan, said: “This new plan seeks an investment of almost £5 million in tourism in counties Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo over the planning period. Almost £2 million of this will be put up by Bord Fáilte and North West Tourism with the balance coming from the private sector and local authorities.

“County Donegal will receive almost £1 million of the total grant-aid. The bulk of expenditure is under three headings: Improvements to and selective expansion of accommodation; The Provision of additional facilities and environmental development.

“We in the Regional Tourism Organisation are pleased to have been identified with the preparation of this five-year blueprint and we are confident that its implementation will result in a wider spread of the benefits of tourism in the North West and particularly in County Donegal.

Wesley McKeague, Culdaff, (right) won the best overall pedigree Friesian at the Bonagee Show of 1988. Also pictured are David Nesbitt, Donegal Creameries (sponsor) and Lynda Moore, ‘Miss Bonagee’.

GAOTH DOBHAIR AIRSTRIP OBJECTORS REMAIN

THE controversy over the siting of the proposed Gaoth Dobhair airstrip continues to rage in the area, and it is now feared that unless agreement is reached in the next few weeks the airstrip may be lost to the area.

During the week, Mr Tom McBride, Chairman of the airstrip committee, informed the Derry People and Donegal News that no one was being asked to give up grazing rights on the commanage and that anyone who had this impression after reading last week’s article could be assured that they still had full use of the grazing land.

Advertisement

Mr McBride commented: “The farmers who have animals grazing on the commonage can carry on just as they have done in the past. The commonage has 165 acres and the airstrip only requires six. Grazing rights on these six acres is available, at all times, except, of course when a plane is coming in to land or take off. It is not our intention to inconvenience any of the farmers in any way and we sincerely hope that they let their animals graze on the commonage as they have been doing for many years.”

However, Mr McBride is now worried that the facility is slipping away from Gaoth Dobhair. The Minister for the Gaeltacht, Mr Tom O’Donnell had given the people of the area, who were concerned in the matter; six months to sort out their difficulties, and that time was now running out. Mr McBride maintained that there is still only one objector and that person still had not explained the nature or cause of his objection.

During the week, the solicitor who is acting on behalf of the objectors to the siting of the airstrip at Ardnacappary informed the Derry People and Donegal News that he still had a list of nine objectors and as far as he was concerned none of them had withdrawn. He added that the people who contacted him had most definitely not withdrawn.

He made it clear that the objections had been lodged with the Department of Industry and Commerce.

It seems that no application had been made to the planning offices of Donegal County Council for the provision of an airstrip.

The North Western Tourism Organisation, whose five year plan for the region was made available in mid-week, had the following to state on the subject; “The proposed air-strip at Gaoth Dobhair will be of significant benefit to tourism and commercial interests”

58-ACRE FARM SOLD FOR £55,000

£950 is the new record price for an acre of land. Readers may recall that in last week’s issue Mr George Robinson of John King Robinson and Sons auctioneer said in an interview that the average price for an acre of land was a staggering £700. That figure didn’t last long.

During the week Mr Robinson informed us that he would like to bring to our attention just what a buoyant state the land market in the county was in at present. His firm sold a farm at Raymoghey, Manorcunningham with the 58-acres fetching a fantastic £55,000.

Mr Robinson commented: “In last week’s issue, I mentioned that farming was a big business and that land prices were extremely high. Little did I realise that the £700 figure mentioned as the cost of an acre would be soon broken and by such an increased amount. Even I was astounded”

The property which realised this record prize was sold by the executor of the late Robert Stewart, Raymoghey. The new owner is Mr William Doherty, from Derry.

The Emerald Band from Letterkenny competing in the Donegal League final in Moville back in 1990.

Friday, 23 February 2001

CONVOY TEENAGER IN FINAL OF “FACE OF IRELAND 2001”

AN eighteen year old Convoy woman has been selected for the final eight participants in Face of Ireland 2001’, which has been organised by the Sunday People newspaper. She is Miss Elaine Mailey of Ballyboe, Convoy, daughter of Mr and Mrs Liam and Pat Mailey.

Elaine was entered in the competition by her sister Caroline, who sent in a college prom photograph. Elaine was then called to a pageant in the Gresham Hotel, Dublin along with 150 others. The following weekend the final eight participants’ photographs were published in theSunday People.

Elaine said she was stunned when she learned that she had reached the final. “I was obviously hoping, but there were so many beautiful girls there. I was shocked”, said the Social care student.

In the last two Sunday People editions there were photographs of all eight finalists. The readers had the final choice of who would become the Face of Ireland 2001, by voting the person of their choice.

THE RNLI AND ‘SAVE THE SWILLY’

Sir,

With reference to the group calling itself ‘Save the Swilly’ and recent publicity regarding the activities and membership to this group, it has been stated that the RNLI is a member of the same. I write to clarify the following.

The RNLI is not a member nor is it involved in any with the group calling itself ‘Save the Swilly’. The RNLI has not had any representatives at any of the meetings, publicised or otherwise.

The RNLI has not made any objections to any proposal regarding any matters pertaining to the development of aquaculture in the area.

Any inclusion of the RNLI in the publicity surrounding this issue is taking place without the consent of the institution, its staff and volunteers.

Whilst the RNLI has not raised any objections to any proposals, we would trust that any company involved will take a responsible attitude to ensure that the structures, buoys etc. are properly marked and would consider attaching to all such items to ensure they are visible at night. The provision of lights upon some buoys structures would also assist in this matter.

Our experience has already shown that the presence of unit structures within navigable waters can be hazardous to fast moving craft.

The RNLI exists to save life at sea and provides a 24 hour service, 365 days a year with highly trained committed volunteers ready to answer the call for help, whenever it comes. I trust this clarifies the situation and would ask that you include the details of this letter when mentioning the work of ‘Save the Swilly’ group.

Claire Brennan, National Organiser

Charlie Robinson and Cairns Witherow at the Raphoe Mart Christmas Cracker Show and Sale in 2009.

LADIES SUFFER HEAVY DEFEAT

Cavan… 1-18

Donegal… 0-3

The Donegal ladies team suffered a heavy 18-points defeat to Cavan in their second outing in the National Football League last Sunday. The fixture marked the first game in charge for the new manager Dermot Gallagher, from Ballintra who will be hoping for a better result in Sunday’s game against Fermanagh. Donegal played against a strong breeze in the first half and found themselves under pressure from early on in the game. Despite the best efforts from Aoife Hegarty and Sharon O’ Sullivan in defence, Donegal trailed by 0-9 to no score at the interval.

Their cause wasn’t helped when they lost Maria Devenney because of a shoulder injury in the second quarter. After a positive half time team talk from Gallagher, Donegal started brightly in the second half.

The introduction of Donna Kavanagh proved very worthwhile as she was one of the most influential figures along with Frances Kane during the second half. Donegal’s only point of play came from Falcarragh’s Margaret McGee, despite the best efforts of Catherine McAteer, Cavan went on to record an easy win.

“A lot of progress needs to be made in the coming weeks.

“Some of the girls who haven’t turned out yet need to join the panel soon if things are to get back together again.

“We battled hard on Sunday and the girls never gave up”, team selector Edmond Carr said.

If you have a photograph you would like published, send it to editor@donegalnews.com

Top
Advertisement

Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland