Termon Ladies into All-Ireland final as Urris reach Ulster junior decider

Geraldine McLaughlin celebrates with her nephew, Oran Hilley, after helping Termon into the All-Ireland final.

Geraldine McLaughlin celebrates with her nephew, Oran Hilley, after helping Termon into the All-Ireland final.


TERMON Ladies booked their place in the All-Ireland final and Urris have pencilled the Ulster Junior final into their diaries after a mixed day for Donegal’s clubs in Championship action yesterday.


St Eunan’s bid to reach a first-ever Ulster club final was halted by Omagh St Enda’s at Celtic Park, where Barry Tierney netted the only goal of the game to fire the Tyrone team past Maxi Curran’s charges.

St Eunan’s kicked 13 wides including a late, late goal chance for Cillian Morrison, who energised the Letterkenny side on his first Championship start since 2010, but Omagh proved the more clinical team on the day.

“Football at this level is a serious business and we just made too many unforced errors,” Curran reflected.

“We gave the ball away far too easily and made bad decisions in crucial areas. They’ll learn from this and come back as better players.

“Football is about the hour after you cross the white line. People can make an excuse out of that, but at the end of the day we came up just short.”

As St Eunan’s were in despair as a golden chance slipped by, Francie Friel’s Termon Ladies were amid jubilant scenes in Galway. The Burn Road side are just 60 minutes away from an All-Ireland title following their 3-11 to 2-12 win over Kilkerrin-Clonberne.

“Words just can’t describe it – it’s unreal to be looking forward to an All-Ireland final,” Friel told the Donegal News last night.
“We’re sixty minutes away from an All-Ireland title and we will leave no stone unturned to get that title back to Termon.”


Geraldine McLaughlin scored 2-3 with Shannon McGroddy bagging the other goal and Maureen O’Donnell hit seven points as Termon survived, even after a staggering 12 minutes of added-on time were played.

Friel said: “We were pushed all the way, but there are no dud teams left at this stage.

“I think the memory of 2010 (when Termon lost against Cork’s Inch Rovers in a semi-final) pushed us over the line today. The girls just didn’t want to get beaten and in 12 minutes of added time they defended as if their lives depended on it.

“It was one of the best team performances I’ve seen by these girls. Each and every one of them were outstanding.”

Termon will take on Mourneabbey from Cork – who beat Mountmellick 1-14 to 0-15 in the other semi – in the November 30 final.

Urris, too, are pinching themselves after reaching the Ulster Junior final.

Peter Devlin’s goal in the 12th minute proved crucial, as did two quick-fire points by Jason Doherty as Danny Kelly’s side defeated Armagh junior champions Keady in Clones 1-7 to 0-7. The Inishowen side will now play Rock St Patrick’s from Tyrone in the final in two weeks’ time – a remarkable run given that Urris lost against Red Hughs and Naomh Ultan in their opening to Championship games this year and were within five minutes of exiting before they turned around in the third game to defeat Robert Emmets.

Also in Clones, Cloughaneely’s bid to reach the Ulster Intermediate final were dashed by lethal Warrenpoint as Ross McGarry and Ryan Magee hit the goals in a 2-16 to 1-8 win for the Down side.

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007
Every Thursday
Every Monday

Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland