By Kate Heaney
THE legal firm representing almost 2,000 owners of defective product homes have widen their law suit to include more companies.
Coleman Legal who are seeking compensation through the courts for home owners affected by defective building material.
This week they announced they were adding companies linked to Cassidy Brothers Concrete Products to the list of companies being sued in the High Court proceedings.
A spokesperson for Coleman Legal said they had applied to the Commercial Division of the High Court to have Cassidy Brothers Topmix Ltd., Cranford Concrete Ltd., and Moyle Plant Ltd added as defendants to the six lead cases it has lodged.
“The reason for doing this is because it is not always clear which Cassidy’s company supplied the products in each individual case.
“All of the companies above, as well as Cassidy Brothers Concrete Products Ltd. Provided receipts to various clients for the supply of ‘Cassidy’s products’ at some point or another.
“We are now looking into the most time and cost efficient way of adding these defendants to the remaining cases I the group litigation,” a spokesperson for Coleman Legal said.
He added that the other defendants, Donegal County Council and the National Standards Authority of Ireland, have entered defences in each of the lead cases, however Cassidy’s firms have not yet entered their defences, three weeks beyond the court deadline.
“We will do everything in our power to ensure Cassidy’s comply with their obligations and we are now arranging to apply to the Commercial Court during a special ‘vacation sitting’ as soon as possible to compel Cassidy’s to deliver the outstanding defences,” a Coleman Legal spokesperson added.
Meanwhile, the 100% Redress Party has received representation from The Registrar of Political Parties in regards to their formal approval.
The 100% Redress Party received notice on Friday of Mr. Art O’Leary’s intention to approve their application to become a registered political party.
The decision made will become effective after a 21 day appeal period, or the outcome of any such appeal.
Speaking to the Donegal News, party spokesperson, Ali Farren said he was relieved when he received the update on Friday.
“We never thought it wouldn’t happen but until you get a rubber stamp and until you are there, you’re not there.
“There is so much red tape and bureaucracy that has to be done to be established as a party,” he said.
It comes as Donegal County Council has confirmed that the transitioning of applications from the previous scheme to the enhanced scheme is ‘gaining momentum.’
A Council spokesperson has confirmed that around 350 homeowners will receive clarity on their defective concrete block scheme application in the coming weeks. To date 50 new applications have been received under the Enhanced Scheme.
Eight of these applications are now valid and are in the process of being referred to the Housing Agency.
The remaining 42 applications received are incomplete.
In this regard, the Council has already contacted each homeowner by phone and in writing in order to explain what information is missing, and we continue to engage in each case.
So far, 849 of the 1,296 applications had already received approval under the previous scheme.
The Council contacted all homeowners in this category in late July and early August outlining what needed to be done next, and what information was required.
To date 84 applicants have returned the information required.
A Council spokesperson said, “Given the volume of applications involved, the transitioning of applications from the previous scheme to the enhanced scheme is a significant task, and will take some time.
“However, this is now starting to gain momentum, and it is expected that around 350 homeowners will get progress and clarity in relation to their application within the next few weeks.
“Significant volumes of payments have issued and this will continue, with €1.3 million recently having been paid out in July and August.
“There is certainly light at the end of the tunnel, and while there is some way to go, there is a sense that this is starting to move forward, with positive feedback received from a number of homeowners this week.”