DONEGAL Gardaí are urging everyone to make water safety a top priority during this spell of beautiful weather and always.
Please only swim at beaches that are patrolled by a lifeguard and always be on guard especially when you have children at the beach.
Check that you have the correct equipment you need to enjoy your activities and know what to do in the event of an emergency.
Inflatable toys are not suitable for use in open water, including at the seaside and on inland waters and rivers. Inflatable toys, including dinghies and air mattresses can quickly blow out to open waters or capsize. They should not be used.
If you intend to go kayaking, canoeing or paddle boarding:
• Always have a means of calling for help and make sure you can access it when you are out on the water
• Tell someone where you are going and what time you expect to return
• Wear a lifejacket or buoyancy aid
• Always check the weather forecast and sea conditions before you set off.
• Paddle in a group where possible. If you’re exploring somewhere new, seek knowledge from experienced practitioners in the area.
If you see someone in trouble on the water or along the coast, or think they might be; Dial 999 or 112 or use VHF radio CH 16 and ask for the Coast Guard
Enjoy the beautiful beaches that Donegal has to offer and please bring your litter home!
When parking please ensure that you never block access for pedestrians, wheelchair users, other vehicles or any of the emergency services. Please don’t leave pets unattended in cars in warm weather.
Visit www.watersafety.ie for further advice.