EIGHTY eight eviction notices are set to be served to homes in Donegal today (Saturday) as the eviction ban comes to an end.
Recent figures from the Residential Tenancies Board confirm that 88 eviction notices were served in Donegal up to September last year and these notices are due to come into effect when the ban is lifted on April 1.
Cllr Albert Doherty said the eviction ban was designed to protect tenants and property owners, however, its removal is putting families at risk of homelessness.
Cllr Doherty said, “The figures recently released for Donegal by the Residential Tenancies Boards confirms there will be 88 eviction notices served to families as these notices were served by landowners in a period in 2022.
“If it wasn’t for the implications of the defective block scandal, there could be many more.
“Where will these people go?,” said Cllr Doherty.
Cllr Doherty’s statements were echoed by Cllr Gerry McMonagle who said if these people are evicted, there is no where for them to go.
Cllr McMonagle said, “In some cases, it has been suggested that families with young children go to their local Garda station for accommodation – this is not on.”
Cllr McMonagle also hit out at the Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien who previously suggested that Councils should buy houses to help alleviate the problem.
Cllr McMonagle says Donegal is facing the ‘perfect storm’ due to the lifting of the eviction ban and the defetcive blocks crisis.
The Council agreed to write to the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage to call for the eviction ban to be extended and further calls on Government to provide the necessary resources to Donegal County Council enabling Council to actively pursue tenant-in- situ housing purchases and the purchase and refurbishment of vacant homes.
Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere