Today, Currys Ireland launched ‘Quiet Hour’ which will take place in all stores every Monday to Friday* until 11am.
For the first hour of the day, the electrical retailer in Letterkenny will be reducing noise in-store, keeping lights low and making sure there are no flashing screens to ensure a calmer place to shop, better supporting neurodiverse customers.
This new initiative replaces the weekly autism friendly evenings, launched in autumn 2022. ‘Quiet Hour’ builds on its predecessor’s success by increasing the frequency to Monday through to Friday and targeting all those with an invisible disability.
To support the launch, Currys has joined the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower network, giving customers a discreet way to signify that they have an invisible disability and may need some help and extra time.
The electrical giant understands that for our neurodiverse customers, while tech plays a vital role in their lives, going into a Currys store with all the flashing lights, loud noises and tech displays can be daunting.
Examples of the in-store environment during Quiet Hour include:
• The majority of sounds will be reduced and consistent throughout the store
• As customers walk around there won’t be multiple sound sources, so whilst most of the tech will be switched on, sound will be off
• All TVs and screens will be switched off
• If a customer requires a demo of sound, Currys will do this assisted and we will be extra courteous to other customers close by
• Currys will offer a sensory map by store – this will help customers identify areas that may be a triggering environment, it will also highlight quieter areas of the store where customers can go if they start to feel overwhelmed
• Currys will offer customers with non-visible disabilities a Sunflower lanyard if they wish, a discrete way to let others around them know that they may need a little extra help whilst shopping
• Ear defenders and sensory toys are available on request
• Service dogs are welcome as always
Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere