Gardai in Donegal are advising traffic disruption on Thursday during the funeral of Private Seán Rooney.
The 23-year-old, who lived in Newtowncunningham, died on Wednesday of last week while carrying out UN peacekeeping duties in al-Aqbieh in southern Lebanon.
The Defence Forces said Private Rooney was killed on active service in a “serious incident” at approximately 9.45pm Irish time, when a two-vehicle convoy carrying members of the 121st Infantry Battalion came under “small arms fire” from a “hostile mob”.
Three separate investigations are underway into the death of Private Seán Rooney.
The funeral Mass of Private Seán Rooney will take place in Dundalk on Thursday morning. It is anticipated that the funeral procession will then arrive in Newtowncunningham between approximately 1pm and 2pm.
The chapel car park at All Saint’s, Colehill, in Newtowncunningham, will be closed to the public to give priority to the family, Army personnel and dignitaries.
Currently it is expected that the funeral cortege will proceed on foot along the main road from Kernan’s to the chapel. This will bring traffic to a stop for a short time. A ‘21 gun salute’ will take place in the field across from the graveyard.
A garda spokesperson said: “We wish to notify road users and local residents in advance that there will be some traffic disruption and a little noise from the gun salute.
“Gardaí will be there to assist with traffic management and we ask road users to have patience and to leave extra time for any planned journeys.
“Our thoughts at this time are with Seáns family, loved ones and friends and we extend our deepest sympathy to them.
“Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.”
Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere
Posted: 1:13 pm December 20, 2022