Derry strike late to secure a draw in feisty derby

Derry City 2-2 Finn Harps

Finn Harps were denied victory in a feisty local derby with Derry City this evening as Joe Thomson scored a 90th minute equaliser at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

Derry took the lead in the 18th minute when Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe headed to the net, but Harps were irate as they felt there was a foul on Tunde Owolabi in the lead up to the goal.


Harps were second best for much of the first half but they then drew level in the 39th minute when Jordan Mustoe sent a lovely curling effort into the net via the post.

Derry almost regained their lead on the stroke of half-time but Will Seymore cleared Ronan Boyce’s header off the line.

HT: Derry 1-1 Harps

Both sides went close at the start of the second half before Ryan Rainey put Harps in front in the 62nd minute with a smart finish.

Ryan Rainey celebrates his goal against Derry. Photo: North West Newspix.

Derry pushed for a leveller and Jamie McGonigle was denied three times by Mark Anthony McGinley.

The Candystripes kept going and they equalised in the 90th minute when Joe Thomson hammered high to the net.


A fracas then developed as Derry tried to retrieve the ball and when the dust settled, the referee issued red cards to McGinley and Thomson.

Johnny Dunleavy had to go in goal for Harps in the closing minutes as they had made all their subs but Derry couldn’t fashion another chance and the game ended in a draw.

Harps are back in action on Monday evening when they host Bohemians.

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007
Every Thursday
Every Monday

Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland