MAJOR additional flood relief funding for a three projects in Donegal has been announced.
Minister Joe McHugh TD revealed the new works for Donegal ahead of a meeting with Minister Kevin Boxer Moran, Office of Public Works (OPW) in Lifford on this morning.
The OPW has sanctioned €1.9m for the new scheme in Ballybofey/Stranorlar scheme; €3.3m in Buncrana and Ludden; and €6.8m in Ramelton, where the River Lennon burst its bank in 2014 causing unprecedented flooding. The three projects will help alleviate flood risks for more than 120 properties.
Minister McHugh met with Minister Moran to discuss plans underway on seven schemes and to announce the three additional projects.
“I would like to thank Minister Moran for taking the time to come to Donegal to see people in the county, to talk to councillors and to explain where we are with the schemes already announced and to outline the additional commitments,” said Minister McHugh.
The visit coincided with Donegal County Council issuing adverts for consultants for the schemes in Burnfoot, Castlefin, Glenties, Downings and Kerrykeel. Consultants have already been appointed for Lifford. In Raphoe, a preferred scheme to benefit more than 200 properties will be on public exhibition early next year.
Minster McHugh added: “The response from the County Council staff and fire service staff and all the local people who came to the help people in Donegal Town last month was tremendous.
“I am glad to see the OPW is able to support the council’s plans for minor works to alleviate future risks.
“The plan for Donegal Town is to improve flows on the Eske along with flood prevention measures with replacement of a culvert at Brookfield, improving storm pipes, work on walls along Castle Street and putting in a water rail in the vicinity of Clarendon Drive.
“Some clearance work is also being considered on a stretch of the river while further analysis will be done on the estuary.”
The funding for the schemes, including the three new projects, is sanctioned through the OPW. Other Minor Works in Currindale, Termon have also been incorporated into the programme.
Minister Moran said: “I fully understand the stress that the threat of flooding causes and the frustration that people feel at delays in delivering measures to protect their properties. What I am announcing today shows that every effort is being made by me, the Government and Donegal County Council to progress the projects in Donegal in the quickest possible time frame.”
Posted: 9:50 am November 29, 2019