MORE than 60 families have been given financial aid by the Government since last week’s floods, according to Minister of State Joe McHugh TD.
Donegal County Council staff are also assisting 40 families in securing accommodation.
“Since Thursday morning when the Humanitarian Assistance Scheme was activated, over 60 households have received financial assistance under the scheme from the Department of Social Protection,” said Minister McHugh.
“Staff from across the division including Sligo have been travelling in to assist in the areas most affected and are also volunteering to cover emergency on call over evenings and weekends.”
Minister McHugh said he is encouraging anyone in need to get in contact with the Department of Social Protection and said cash payments are there for all those who lost clothes and possessions in the flood.
“We would especially encourage anyone who might not have required assistance under stage one of the scheme to get in contact via the Buncrana and Carndonagh offices as we move from stage one into stage two,” said Minister McHugh.
The first stage of the scheme was to provide emergency income support payments for things like food, clothing and personal items in the immediate aftermath of the event.
The second stage generally involves the replacement of white goods, basic furniture items and other essential household items.
The third stage is to identify what longer term financial support or works are required.
The Department of Social Protection is holding a further clinic in Carndonagh on Monday where anyone affected by the flooding can seek financial assistance.
"It falls short of our expectation and basic need in order to maintain the county’s roads network and infrastructure,"...