THE alleged illegal removal of thousands of tonnes of sand from a protected beach in Gaoth Dobhair is being investigated by Donegal County Council.
A spokesperson for the local authority confirmed that the ‘unauthorised development’ at Lunniagh, Derrybeg, has been inspected following reports received in recent days.
“Donegal County Council is actively investigating this matter as an unauthorised development and the matter will be pursued accordingly,” the spokesperson said.
A local source said diggers arrived on the site last week and began removing sand from the foreshore by the lorry load and delivering the sand to a nearby location.
In an email to this newspaper, which was also sent to members of the Local Glenties Municipal District, it was claimed that the removal of sand from this location by a local operator had been halted recently.
“This recommencement of the destruction of the local Special Area of Conservation environment is appalling. How and who sanctioned this must be exposed and answer to the local population, who now feel their locality and their dignity is being treated with contempt.
“I hope that none of you will stand idly by or sit on your hands while this environmental destruction continues unabated. So much for your Wild Atlantic Way, so much for representing your community, so much corruption,” the email read.
Cllr Michael Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig is Cathaoirleach of the Glenties MD.
“I am aware of this issue but I understand that Donegal County Council is dealing with the matter. The beauty of our beaches and coast needs to be preserved,” Cllr Mac Giolla Easbuig said.
Posted: 9:03 am June 23, 2017
Irish Water is reiterating its request to residents and businesses in County Donegal supplied by Lough Colm and...