WITH the General Election less than two months away, the line-up of candidates to contest the new five-seat Donegal constituency is almost complete.
To date, thirteen candidates representing Sinn Fein (3), Fianna Fáil (2), Fine Gael (2), Green Party and Independents (5) have allowed their name to go forward to the electorate.
With a potential coalition between Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil back on the agenda this week, Fianna Fáil candidate Pat The Cope Gallagher said it was too early for such talk.
The former MEP and TD, who is a non executive director of The Cope in Dungloe, a business founded by his late grandfather 110 years ago, said all his energies were focused on winning one of the five seats.
“My priority is on securing my seat and, hopefully, a second seat for Fianna Fáil in Donegal. I am prepared to await the outcome of the General Election by which time the public will have spoken and they will determine the make-up of the next Government.
“It’s important though that we keep an open mind on possible coalitions. In the past Charlie Haughey went into coalition with Dessie O’Malley as did Albert Reynolds and Dick Spring. In the meantime let the people decide,” Mr Gallagher said.
Posted: 2:42 pm January 21, 2016
Cllr John Shéamus Ó Fearraigh, Sinn Féin, had been elected to the board of Údarás na Gaeltachta with 12...
FIANNA Fáil Spokesperson on Transport, Tourism and Sport Robert Troy TD has called on Minister Shane Ross...