A FISHERMAN has died at Letterkenny General Hospital after being overcome by fumes while working on a trawler in Killybegs.
A native of Galway, the fisherman (27), passed away on Monday night having been placed in an induced coma earlier in the day.
He was working with another fisherman who was also overcome by fumes in the same incident. The 46-year-old from the Philippines, is still critical and fighting for his life in the intensive care unit in Letterkenny.
The incident occurred on Monday afternoon on the Galway-registered Oilean an Oir which was docked in Killybegs.
The men were cleaning tanks in a refrigeration unit when the Galway man fell into the hold. The Filipino man went to his assistance but was also overcome with fumes after calling for help from other crew-members.
Local Councillor Niamh Kennedy said: “They were overcome by fumes. They were cleaning out one of the tanks, a hold where the fish are held. It was empty and they found stagnant water in the pipework.
“It had been lying there for a while and it is believed the two men inhaled ammonia and hydrogen sulphide gas from organic matter that had been rotting.
The scene was preserved by gardai and officials from the Health and Safety Authority arrived at the scene on Monday night.