BY CHRIS MCNULTY
MAXI Curran has indicated that he is unlikely to return as Donegal’s Under-21 manager for 2016.
Donegal lost a third Ulster final in a row on Wednesday night as Tyrone hit them with a late sucker punch in Celtic Park.
Having lost the previous two finals to Cavan, it was a bitter pill to swallow when Daniel McNulty kicked over an injury-time free to win the title for the Red Hands.
Curran has been involved with the Under-21s since 2010 when he was a part of Jim McGuinness’s backroom team. Since 2012, Curran has been the manager and, after making an early exit in his first year, he has reached three Ulster finals.
It is not expected that the Downings man will seek another term.
“I don’t think so,” he said after Wednesday’s 1-11 to 0-13 defeat.
“I was appointed for one year there, so that’s where it’s at.”
Conor Meyler scored the ninth-minute goal for Tyrone, who led 1-6 to 0-6 at half-time. Tyrone stayed in front until Donegal finally got level through sub Stephen McBrearty in the 59th minute, but McNulty’s winner broke Donegal’s hearts.
Curran said: “It’s hard to take. They are very disappointed young men in there. They’ve given us an awful lot. You just have to wonder what you need to do to get over the line.”
The event, hosted by the Letterkenny 24/7 Triathlon Club, had been in the planning for quite a while.