FROM CHRIS MCNULTY IN LOS ANGELES
HE’S well used to it from his amateur days – so the late confirmation of opponent hardly fazes Jason Quigley at this stage.
The 23-year-old heads for the Fantasy Springs Resort and Casino in Indio, California on Thursday night next for the sixth fight of his professional boxing career.
The Ballybofey man, 5-0 from his first five bouts, is back in the same venue at which he defeated Tolutomi Agunbiade last month.
Quigley took just 1 minute and 41 seconds to defeat Agunbiade and is set to take part in the TV opener on Fox Sports this Thursday.
An opponent for fight number six has yet to be named, but that doesn’t trouble the undefeated Golden Boy Promotions prospect.
“I’ve told my team and my coaches that I’m going to be ready for whenever they tell me,” the focused and relaxed Quigley says.
“If it’s a week before the fight, a day before the fight, I’ll be fine. Because of my amateur experience, I’m used to it. I’ll just prepare and let my opponent worry about me.”
A year ago on Thursday of last week, Quigley inked a contract with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.
Quigley has not gone the distance in any of his fights so far.
Howard Reece, Fernando Najera, Greg McCoy, Dardar and Agunbiade, have all fallen upon the former European champion and World silver medalist’s sword. All of them have taken punishment from those lightening-quick, power-packed paws.
Quigley says: “I couldn’t be happier with my progress as I’m getting in there, doing the business, and taking these guys out.
“People are asking if I would rather go more rounds, but if I can stop the guy in the first 10 seconds then I’ll do it.
“Boxing is a sport where you can’t give anyone a second chance. One head clash can change a fight, or even one shot. One shot and the fight is over, so if you get the chance to finish it, you have to.
“There will be a time when I have to go the distance, but I’m ready for that. I get plenty of rounds of top quality sparring in the gym.”
It is expected that Thursday’s bout will be scheduled for six rounds, but Quigley will be determined to get the job done swiftly again.
He said: “In every fight I’m ready to go to the final bell, but if I can take matters into my own hands and be the judge myself, then of course I’ll do that.”
Last week, Quigley sparred with former world champion Shane Mosley – who twice defeated De La Hoya – and his son, Shane Mosley jnr. Mosley has also boxed Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto.
As has become the norm, Quigley will be roared on by a sizeable support from Donegal, including the President of the Donegal Boxing Board, Peter O’Donnell.
“Jason is a fine ambassador for Donegal boxing and he deserves all the good things that come his way,” O’Donnell says.
“I’m delighted to be over for the fight. It’ll be great to see Jason in action again. I wish him well for Thursday and I hope he continues his great career. I have no doubt that we’ll be seeing Jason Quigley rising the ladder.”
THE end of school brings around a host of opportunities and possibilities for young people. Some will go straight...