Advertisement

Mná Tí say ‘No’ to water charges

A section of the attendance at a meeting in Dore on Wednesday night where the Mná tí from the Donegal Gaeltacht areas who keep Irish language students held a meeting to discuss the impending water charges. Photo: Eoin Mc Garvey

A section of the attendance at a meeting in Dore on Wednesday night where the Mná tí from the Donegal Gaeltacht areas who keep Irish language students held a meeting to discuss the impending water charges. Photo: Eoin Mc Garvey

BY SEÁN P. FEENY
MNÁ TÍ and Irish colleges in West Donegal have taken a stance saying they will not pay any water charges and will march in the Right2Water protest in Letterkenny tomorrow.

A delegation representing all Irish colleges in Donegal met with the Minister of State for the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs, Joe McHugh TD, last night.

Advertisement

The meeting had been organised to allow the mná tí to express their concerns over what implications pending water charges would have on them.

But following a meeting by mná tí and other Irish college representatives at Ionad Naomh Padraig, Dobhar on Wednesday night a firm stance was taken.

Mr Aodh Mac Ruairí, manager of Aislann Rann na Feirste and organiser at the meeting, said the ‘unanimous’ decision not to pay water charges was made ahead of yesterday’s meeting with Minister of State, Joe McHugh TD.

He said: “Our initial meeting was organised over the mná tí’s concerns over the additional cost that would incur during the summer months and other college periods, but it has gone beyond that now and that is why we are saying no to water charges.

“At last night’s meeting were put our case solidly to the minister, expressing our annoyance over extra costs, misinformation and the fact that the mná tí weren’t taken into consideration by Irish Water during the feasibility study in the first place.

“Following Wednesday night’s meeting it quickly transpired that after everything came to light, regardless of being mná tí or not, the people said they were not able and will not pay.”

Mr Mac Ruairí said the minister was ‘very appreciative’ of the concerns expressed by the delegation and has promised to put the case directly to An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny TD. Keep posted on this issue on www.donegalnews.com and the following print editions.

Advertisement

DONEGAL TD and Government Chief Whip Joe McHugh has announced €230,000 is to be invested in the county’s library...

  On his visit on Saturday last to the North West region Taoiseach Leo Varadkar T.D. confirmed his commitment...

  The start of the 70% advance of the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) will benefit over 7,400 farmers in...

Top
Advertisement

Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland