Advertisement

Declan Bonner to ‘consider’ his position as County Board defend minor appointment process

Donegal minor manager Declan Bonner

Donegal minor manager Declan Bonner

BY CHRIS MCNULTY

THE Donegal County Board has defended its decision to seek nomination for the job of county  minor manager for 2015, something that has prompted the incumbent, Declan Bonner to state that he will ‘consider’ his position.

Advertisement

Clubs were informed on Friday last that nominations for the post would be accepted until 5pm this Friday, October 17.
2014 minor manager Bonner – who led the county to an Ulster Minor League and Championship double before guided Donegal to a first-ever All-Ireland minor final – had expressed a desire to return.

The Na Rossa man now says that he is considering his position, but county chairman Sean Dunnion says that they are ‘following due process’.

Another candidate, namely Sean Paul Barrett, who managed the Donegal Under-17s in 2014, is keen on the minor job.

“We are following due process and going along with Croke Park guidelines on this – we are following the same process as we are for the senior and under-21 positions,” Dunnion insisted last night.

“Declan was appointed for one year with a review at the end of the year. Nominations are now being sought. We are just being consistent across the three positions and falling into line with the procedures that are set out by Croke Park.

“There is someone else interested in the position, so we have to put it through this process.”

Bonner met with his management team on Thursday-week last and last Monday night a written report was submitted to the Donegal Executive for their meeting.

Advertisement

Following a superb season at the helm that included the capture of the Ulster League and Championship titles before reaching last month’s All-Ireland, Bonner had expressed an interest in continuing in the role.

Late last week, the 1992 All-Ireland winner confirmed that he was not going forward for the vacant senior team manager’s job as he was seeking another term with the minors.

“It’s far from satisfactory the way it has been handled,” Bonner said.

“When I came in, I asked for a two-year term. It was given for one year with a review after one year. We have had our review. Was it not satisfactory? Have they looked at the review and decided that what we achieved this year wasn’t good enough?

“I will definitely be considering my position.”

Bonner is favourite to replace Rory Gallagher

County Board now searching for a replacement.

It's been a dark week for Donegal GAA after our senior team suffered an embarrassing defeat against Galway last...

Top
Advertisement

Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland