Advertisement

€3million spent on Gweedore Sewerage Scheme without a single pipe laid – Doherty

Pearse Doherty, TD.

Pearse Doherty, TD.

A DONEGAL deputy has said a staggering €3 million has been spent on a West Donegal Sewerage Scheme, although a pipe has yet to be laid.

Pearse Doherty TD said he received confirmation from the Minister for Environment, Community and Local Government after submitting a parliamentary question to his department to confirm the amount spent on the Gweedore Sewerage Scheme over the past 15 years.

Advertisement

The Sinn Féin deputy said: “Despite the fact that this huge sum has been spent to get the project tender ready, it appears that Irish Water intends to undertake a review of the scheme, which could effectively bringing this scheme back to square one.

“Furthermore a review of the scheme as proposed by Irish Water means that this project will not be progressed under the current Capital Investment Programme as a scheme to start construction and therefore it will be 2017 at the earliest before construction starts on the scheme,” he said.

Mr Doherty said it has been confirmed by the department that the contract documents for this scheme had been submitted by Donegal County Council and approved last year.“I see no reason why this scheme should now be reviewed at this point.

“This scheme should be progressed without further delay given the huge amount of time, effort and money that has been spent in getting the scheme to this point.

“Over the past 15 years the department has put numerous obstacles in the way of progressing this scheme, which has resulted in the waste of huge amounts of money.

“It makes no sense economically to delay this scheme any longer and it must now be progressed in a timely fashion.

“It is an absolute disgrace that 15 years, millions of euros and countless government promises later, the people of Gweedore are no further forward in having this crucial infrastructure for the area realised.

Advertisement

“I intend to keep in regular contact with officials in Irish Water to ensure that the best possible case for the progression of the Gweedore Sewerage Scheme is put forward.”

“It is an absolute disgrace that fifteen years, millions of euros and countless government promises later, the people of Gweedore are no further forward in having this crucial infrastructure for the area realised.

“I intend to keep in regular contact with officials in Irish Water to ensure that the best possible case for the progression of the Gweedore Sewerage Scheme is put forward.”

Cllr Gerry McMonagle said the incident occurred in the very early hours of Sunday morning last.

  Deputy Pearse Doherty, Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson, is demanding an urgent explanation from the Minister for Health after it...

  Bank of Ireland have made the decision to withdraw their services from four Donegal branches. Sinn Fein Finance...

Top
Advertisement

Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland