BY CHRIS MCNULTY
JASON Quigley is sharpening his claws again ahead of his second professional fight on Saturday-week, August 16, in the StubHub Centre, Carson, California.
Following a sensational debut win over Howard Reece on July 12 in Las Vegas, the Finn Valley puncher is back in action on the undercard of the IBF welterweight title showdown between Kell Brook and Shawn Porter.
An opponent has not yet been confirmed, but Quigley will take to the canvas in Carson looking to take his record to 2-0.
“I have one more really tough week ahead of me and the last week is staying sharp and making sure I’m in peak condition for the fight,” said the Ballybofey man.
Quigley is in pursuit of a life’s dream and is focussed on realising that ambition.
He said: “I’m still in the background, at the bottom of the ladder, but my aim is to get up there and to be the main event on a show at the MGM Grand. I’ve a long way to go and a lot of tough training sessions.
“The next six to twelve months I’ll keep busy, provided I stay injury free. I want to get into the ring as much as I can. I need to keep stepping up the ladder. Every fight is a World title fight because it’s one step closer to the big one.
“I’m loving every minute of it. I’m 100 per cent focussed. I’m buzzing and ready to go.”
Quigley stopped Reece just 82 seconds into their bout at the MGM Grand.
He said: “It was a dream start. The MGM Grand is where all the great world champions have made their name. To get in there and have the performance that I did was great.”
Just after he flew out to Los Angeles to link up with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, Quigley and his father and coach Conor attended a fight at the StubHub Centre when they watched the Robert Guerrero-Yoshihiro Kamegai card.
Quigley said: “It’s a great outdoor venue and I was saying to dad how great it would be to get a fight there. Here I am now in my second fight getting in there to fight.”