THE Buncrana man charged with dangerous driving causing the deaths of eight people in an horrific crash in Inishowen in 2010 has dramatically changed his plea to ‘guilty.’
Shaun Kelly (24), of Hill Road in the town, is at Letterkenny Circuit Court this morning charged with dangerous driving causing the deaths of eight men in a crash near Clonmany in July 2010.
Mr Kelly told Judge John O’Hagan he is pleading ‘not guilty’ this morning. However, news has just emerged from the court that he has changed his plea to ‘guilty.’
A jury of six men and six women has been sworn in for the trial which was expected last into early next week.
State barrister, Ms Patricia McLoughlin, told Judge Matthew Deery last week that the trial was ready to go ahead and asked for the services of a German interpreter to assist one expert witness.
At the end of January, the court was told that the prosecution had been given a psychological report on Mr Kelly and his barrister, Mr Peter Nolan, raised the issue of his fitness to stand trial.
At another court appearance back in April, Judge Keenan Johnson said the case had been “dragging on too long.”
At Letterkenny District Court on Tuesday 5th December 2017, David Houston of Meadowfield Manor, Newtowncunningham, Co. Donegal was given...