NAOMH Ultan’s Terence McGinley has claimed that up to thirty players from his club’s area are ‘registered and playing illegally’ with neighbouring clubs.
The Naomh Ultan delegate was speaking at Tuesday’s county committee meeting at the Villa Rose Hotel, where he confirmed that his club had written to the Donegal County Secretary, Aodh Máirtín Ó Fearraigh, outlining their concerns.
“We took this to the notice of the County Board and have written to the Runaí, but these clubs are seen to have given the fingers as they are still doing the same,” Mr McGinley said.
He said that he was specifically referencing underage football although he hinted that there were also concerns emerging in relation to adult football.
Naomh Ultan have amalgamated with Killybegs to play under the umbrella of ‘St Johns’ at underage level. However, the Dunkineely-based club is concerned at the alleged hemorrhaging of players.
Mr McGinley said: “There are players from our club’s area registered and playing illegally from clubs who aren’t too far away from us. They are still persisting in playing players illegally. Other clubs should be aware that they are playing against illegal teams.
“Something has to be done.
“We haven’t checked it fully, but we know what is happening.”
This is not the first time the matter has raised its head. In February 2013, Mr McGinley told a meeting of the Donegal county committee that twenty-five players from the Naomh Ultan jurisdiction were registered with ‘other clubs’.
Previously, he had brought the matter to county committee’s attention in January 2012.
Naomh Conaill 3-13 Killybegs 0-10 NAOMH Conaill marched into the quarter-finals of the Under 21 ‘A’ Championship after recording...