Termon win back their place at top table

Ronan MacNiallais.

Ronan MacNiallais.




Termon 2-10 Glenfin 0-14

Termon will play in Division 1 of the All-County League in 2014, after they survived a late scare to hold on and win promotion against 14-man Glenfin in MacCumhaill Park on Saturday afternoon.

Stephen McDermott had an opportunity at the death to steal promotion from Termon’s grasp, but his fisted effort went narrowly wide of the post.

Glenfin were second best throughout but they still had the chances to win the game, and they will rue a missed penalty from Gerard Ward in the 40th minute. Ward did manage to get a point from the spot-kick, but a goal would have given the An Ghaeltacht Lár men a big lift going into the last third of the game.

Termon struck two late goals in O’Donnell Park last Sunday to force the replay, and they started brightly with Steve McElwaine landing a free and a great point from play within the opening five minutes.

Francie Martin’s Glenfin got off the mark in the seventh minute when Mark McGinty passed to Gerard Ward, and the full-forward pointed. Shortly after, Ward levelled proceedings when his clever turn evaded a tackle from Shaun O’Donnell and he coolly dissected the posts.

Termon went ten minutes without a score, but they kicked three points in three minutes, with minors Daire McDaid (2) and Aiden Sweeney both notching points.


Daireann Gibson’s men were now in complete control and they could have scored a goal in the 17th minute but Jamie Gallagher shot wide from a good position.

However three minutes later, they did get a goal. Termon’s direct running was causing havoc, and Paddy McDaid fed the onrushing Gallagher and he slipped the ball into the unmarked Kevin McDaid, who fired low past Andrew Walsh.

Michael McGlynn dominated the midfield exchanges in the first game, but Michael Boyle’s pinpoint kick-outs kept the ball away from Glenfin’s midfielders on Saturday and that helped Termon to get on the front foot.

Steve McElwaine extended Termon’s lead to seven points after 22 minutes, but Glenfin rallied and they kicked four points in five minutes. Conor Ward kicked an inspiring score, before Ciaran Moy, Stephen McGlynn and Gerard Ward all scored good points from play.

Daire McDaid and Gerard Ward exchanged fees to leave Termon three points ahead at the interval. Johnny McCafferty put Termon four points ahead with the first score of the second half, but Glenfin responded with Stephen McDermott fisting over, although he really should have found the net.

In the 40th minute, Glenfin were presented with a wonderful opportunity to level the scores. Substitute Daniel McGlynn did brilliantly to find Malachy Martin, who was unceremoniously hauled to the ground by James Doherty.

Gerard Ward took responsibility, but he blazed his penalty high and over the bar with Jimmy White awarding a point after his umpire had initially signalled that the shot had gone wide.

Termon punished Glenfin by scoring their second goal in the 45th minute. James Doherty and Trevor Alcorn linked up superbly, before Alcorn offloaded to Daire McDaid, and the corner-forward hammered the ball to the net.

Stephen McGlynn and Ciaran Moy (free) pointed to put a goal between the sides, but Anthony McGrenra pushed Termon further ahead again with a good point after a strong run.

Moy added a free for Glenfin, but Daire McDaid raised Termon’s last white flag in the 51st minute to put them four points ahead again. However, Glenfin weren’t going to give up without a fight and Moy kicked a brace to keep them in touch.

Both sides missed good opportunities in the dying seconds, and Glenfin finished the game with 14 players when Malachy Martin picked up a red card for a second bookable offence.
With one last throw of the dice, Moy launched the ball into the edge of the square and McDermott’s effort flashed the other side of the post much to Termon’s relief. Gibson’s team held on to secure their second successive promotion.

Termon: Michael Boyle; Joe’ O’Donnell, Shaun O’Donnell, Daniel Conaghan; James Doherty, Kevin McElwaine, Anthony McGrenra (0-1); Johnny McCafferty (0-1), Jamie Gallagher; Kevin McDaid (1-0), Trevor Alcorn, Steve McElwaine (0-3, 1f); Aiden Sweeney (0-1), Paddy McDaid, Daire McDaid (1-4, 2fs). Subs: Jimmy Gallagher for O’Donnell (45 mins), Joe English for Kevin McElwaine (55 mins), Pauric Hilferty for Jimmy Gallagher (58 mins), James Cullen for Steve McElwaine (60 mins).

Glenfin: Andrew Walsh, Gareth Martin, Gavin McDermott, John Harkin; Gary Dorrian, Frank McGlynn, Stephen McGlynn (0-2); Michael McGlynn, Stephen McDermott (0-1); Paddy Costello, Mark McGinty Snr, Conor Ward (0-1); Ciaran Moy (0-4, 2fs), Gerard Ward (0-6, 2fs,1 pen), Malachy Martin. Subs: Daniel McGlynn for McGinty (half-time), Kevin McGlynn for Costello (42 mins).

Mary Gordon was a natural-born leader and the obvious choice to captain the Donegal team to take the field...

The big game kicks off at 7.30pm at Bonagee

IT'S been a case of déjà vu for Glenfin this season


Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland