Advertisement

Coleman looking forward to final push

BY HARRY WALSH
SEAMUS COLEMAN and Everton moved a step closer to an FA Cup final at Wembley following their 3-1 victory over Oldham Athletic in the replay of their fifth round clash on Tuesday night.

Next up for the Toffees is a quarter final showdown with Wigan at Goodison on March 9 and Coleman believes Everton’s return to winning ways could be the springboard they need to re-ignite their hopes of success this season.

Coleman, who started his second consecutive game after returning from injury, hopes the result can draw a line under a difficult month which had previously seen the club go four games without victory.

Advertisement

“We were disappointed at the weekend against Norwich. I thought we played some good football at times but didn’t see the game through, and after a result like that you want a game as quickly as possible and thankfully we had one.

“It’s a win and we can go into the game against Reading (on tomorrow, Saturday) a bit more confident now.

“When we got the draw for the quarter-final and it was a home tie we knew it was a good incentive, but we had to beat Oldham first which we knew wasn’t going to be easy.
“We know Wigan will be hard but being in front of our home fans is always going to give us an advantage.

“We would like to get back to Wembley but every team is looking for the same thing, so we can’t think too far ahead.

“Wigan got a good result last week and we just hope we can do a professional job and get there at the end of the season,” he said.

Coleman was in lively form against the Latics, helping to create his side’s crucial second goal, and he said he is determined to play a part in the remainder of Everton’s campaign.

“I’ve had a good run in the team this year in my favoured position so it was disappointing to be out with an injury,” he said.

Advertisement

“I’ve been working hard with the fitness coaches and felt good so hopefully I can go strong until the end of the season now.

Coleman started his football career with St. Catherine's. He joined Sligo Rovers in 2006 and then moved to England...

It follows a proposal tabled by Fine Gael Councillor Barry O'Neill at a meeting of the Donegal Municipal District...

Glenties District Court was told that Sean Connor drove with children in his car while already banned from driving.

Top
Advertisement

Donegal News is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. St. Anne's Court, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland