BY CRONAN SCANLON
A SPOKESPERSON for Údarás na Gaeltachta said they will be ‘taking steps’ to recoup €360,000 in grant aid paid to a company in Gaoth Dobhair which closed this week.
On Tuesday, the Éist agus Cuidiú Teo call centre ceased trading with the loss of 26 full and part-time jobs. The Donegal News reported last week that the troubled company failed to pay staff wages the previous week.
Following a query from this paper, an Údarás spokesperson confirmed that €360,000 has been paid to the company in grant aid since it opened in the Gaoth Dobhair Business Park in August 2011.
“All grant aid paid to companies from Údarás na Gaeltachta contain a contingent liability clause of five years, which means that we have the option of recouping the amount paid if the company ceases trading before the end of the five years. We will be taking steps to recoup grant aid paid if the company goes into liquidation,” the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson added that the company has made every effort in recent weeks to find a solution to its financial difficulties, but to no avail.
Mr Steve Ó Cúláin, CEO of Údarás na Gaeltachta said he was “very saddened” to hear that the company has no more options available but to close its operations.
“It is our understanding that the company’s decision to cease trading was for reasons outside its control,” Mr Ó Cúláin said.