, Pairc Ghno Ghaoth Dobhair, standing second from left, who presented new football strips on behalf of the company to the CLG Gaoth Dobhair team in Magheragallon on Sunday. Gaoth Dobhair face in-form Naomh Conaill on Sunday.”]BY CHRIS MCNULTY
ANGRY Gaoth Dobhair have vowed to ‘take to task’ Donegal Competitions Controls Committee (CCC) Chairman Charlie Cannon at the next meeting of the Donegal county committee.
This comes after Mr Cannon expressed his disappointment at the west Donegal club for turning down a request made by the CCC to have games played next Saturday, May 6th, on the weekend of the county finals of Comortas Peile na Gaeltachta.
Gaoth Dobhair are hosting both the county and national finals of Comortas Peile na Gaeltachta this year and have carried out major refurbishment at their Magheragallon base as they welcome the cream of the country’s Gaeltachts.
At a meeting of the county committee earlier in the year, the Gaoth Dobhair club submitted a proposed regulation asking that no games be fixed for the weekends of the Gaeltacht competitions. An amended motion that Gaeltacht clubs would be left free on those weekends was passed and written into county bye-law for the year.
The issue was raised at last month’s county committee meeting after it emerged that some games, including a senior championship clash between Gaeltacht club Kilcar and Malin were down for next weekend.
The Kilcar v Malin game is still written into the schedule for next Saturday in Towney.
Earlier this week, Mr Cannon was quoted as saying that he was ‘very disappointed’ that Gaoth Dobhair had said ‘no’ to their request to play games. He said: “We had spoken to all the other clubs and they were quite willing to play on the Saturday and we were hoping that Gaoth Dobhair would look favourably on our request.
“It is particularly disappointing as the Gaeltacht games are on the Sunday and the Monday of that weekend.”
Following a club meeting on Tuesday night, the Gaoth Dobhair club said that they would deal with the matter at the next county committee sitting on Tuesday May 8th.
“We have nothing to add to what Charlie Cannon has said, other than to say that we will take him to task at the correct forum, which is the county committee meeting,” a club spokesman said. “That is where we will answer the comments made in relation to our club.”
A planned double round of games again this weekend has been shelved. One round of games in each Division will take place though, with Divisions 3 and 4 to be played tomorrow, Saturday, and games in Divisions 1 and 2 on Sunday.
“Procurement is underway to deliver improvements to the site and works will commence as soon as possible.”