BY CATHERINE COOK
THE announcement of a major funding boost for a Gweedore firm has been overshadowed by the news yesterday (Thursday) that twenty-six jobs are to go at the plant.
Government funding of almost €600,000 was announced earlier in the week for Gweedore based crisp manufacturer Largo foods to support a total investment of nearly €3 million.
However, the news announcement was overshadowed by the news that 26 workers at the Gweedore plant are to lose their jobs.
A spokesperson for Udaras na Gaeltachta, confirmed, however, that staff at the factory have been in negotiations with management since early last year and the 26 part-time positions will be lost through voluntary redundancies. She added that this has been widely known since last year.
Gaeltacht Minister Dinny McGinley announced on Tuesday that the Government had given approval for grant assistance by Udaras na Gaeltachta to Largo Foods, a company based in Gweedore.
He said the 26 jobs losses did not paint the full picture.The grant assistance of €579,564 will assist the company in updating equipment and in funding a research and development programme for new high-value products to be produced in the Gaeltacht for the Irish and British markets.
Making the announcement, Minister McGinley said: “This investment is vital in securing the continued presence of Largo Food Exports Ltd. in Gaoth Dobhair.”